Thursday, July 26, 2007

Post #3: our first concert / Wedding Dress

was, as every concert worth attending should be, a moment to remember.

The first Sunday I was invited to church, they had scheduled an outdoor lunch. I had already met her best friend's husband ('best male friend' sounds awkward, dont'cha think?) at a Barnes and Noble so, by then, we knew there was a musical connection (thanks to a shared devotion to all things [Irish dad's real names, Dutch cover-photographers, Guatemalan jackets on Rattle and Hum, Swedish covers with ABBA] U2). So, my future-bride-then-girlfriend's-best-friend's-husband mentioned an upcoming concert at a church in Plano by this 21st century poet originally from an unknown (to me, at least) 90s band. Needless to say, I jumped with a "yes!"; after all, if he's a U2 fan (and a closet the Queen, aka Amy Grant fan, by his own admission) his musical taste must be good (although his repeated dislike of Slayer makes me doubt it a little).

Three days later we attended the concert. Inside a beautiful small sized church, I got my first glimpse into Derek Webb's music. Lyrics such as:
"Don't teach me about politics and government, just tell me who to vote for;
don't teach me about truth and beauty, just label my music;
don't teach me about how to live like a free man, just give me a new law"

were like a hook thrown into my wide open mouth. Then,
"There's two lies that I've heard:
the day you eat of the fruit of that tree you will not surely die,
and that Jesus was a white middle class Republican"

simply grabbed me by the gut and forced to listen, not enjoy and torture myself with the agony of knowing somebody was wording some sense out of my angry places of doubt. Nothing, however, would prepare me for what lied ahead; if the aforementioned songs seduced my mind, what followed sealed the deal... penetrating my soul like a spear into the heart:

I cried when I listened to those lyrics; I still cry everytime I hear the whole song; I will cry so hard, I have not been able to listen to any other song on that album, I just repeat it a handful times until my voice is no longer singing but begging forgiveness to my God. That song, prompted me to share my deepest fears and pour confessions of an angry/ sad/ confused heart with my beautiful date for that evening. We had just begun dating and I liked her so much, that I needed her to know the real whore inside of me. Her response? "You are not [that], you are a good man". Ever since, we've been committed to verbally sharing whatever troubles our hearts both individually and as a couple and I've grown to trust her friendship more than I've ever trusted my fears. I guess Derek Webb's Wedding Dress definitely played a slightly literal part in the fact that Carlee is, in fact, now shopping for a wedding dress.
Before I forget (as if!), our drive to church was spent listening three times in a row to a 80s song by an obscure band from the 70s. The lyrics were a perfect match. The first time I told her "I love you" was while listening to that little ditty: Amanda by Boston.

Here, a pic right after
Derek Webb's concert.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At July 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love you.

 
At July 30, 2007 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like post #3. How did you two get to be so cute together? :D Good luck wedding dress shopping Carlee.

 
At August 1, 2007 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

ahora si!!!!...hey espero poder conocerla algun dia!!! y felicitaciones por esta nueva etapa de tu vida, sinceramente espero que seas muy feliz!!! (ex, ex...jijij)

 
At August 2, 2007 at 3:11 PM , Blogger @driPod said...

ja, gracias a Maria José ya puedo escribir en español sin darme pena jejejeje


Ay chapin. debes disfrutar los beneficios de ser hijo de Dios.
* anula tu pasado
* vence tus problemas
*cambia tu vida
parale "bolas" sobre todo al primer beneficio. Tu eres otra persona y cada dia has demostrado ser sensible a El.

 
At August 2, 2007 at 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are so sweet togeter, I just cry!.

Carlee, on August 10 those pearls I got ya will board a plane to the USA. I'm sending them with a friend to mail inside the States so they [hopefully] won't get lost!

 
At August 3, 2007 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Carlee said...

Thank you, Melissa. That is so nice. Hey will you be in the states in Oct? I would love it if you guys could make it to the wedding.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adriana y Maria Jose -

Me gustaria conocerles un dia de estos. Gracias por sus palabras.

Estoy buscando el valor de escribir algo. Esta etapa de mi vida es maravillosa y estoy muy contenta. Tengo mucho en mi corazon que megustaria compartir.

Dios les bendiga.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa -

Thank you for the pearls! They are beautiful. It was so fun to get them in the mail.

I am going to hunt you down and thank you properly.

Hope you are doing well.

 
At August 25, 2007 at 5:41 PM , Blogger mackenzie said...

carlee,

thank you so much for your prayers and encouraging words. they really really mean a lot to me. from afar, i love you, even though i don't know you. i'm excited to keep up with your "story."

mackenzie

 
At August 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soy, where have you been lately? Don't see comments from you on the various blogs...

 
At August 29, 2007 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Carlee! I am very pleased for you.

 
At September 7, 2007 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pilgrim. I hope that you are doing well.

 
At September 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

????? Where are all these posts you were going to make?

 
At September 20, 2007 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola hola!

saludos, muy contenta de ver que tiene lo que merece, la felicidad! esperando ver mas fotografias o videos de uds.. :)

 
At October 11, 2007 at 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessings again, Carlee, as you enter into a new part of your life with another whom God has chosen for you.

May the Lord rest upon your house.

 
At October 17, 2007 at 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this is my first time here and I'm just amazed. Congratulations to you both, God blessed you with love...
Wilmar is as a brother to me, and he knows his happiness is my happiness. Hope I will meet you soon, Carlee!...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home