Sunday, November 11, 2007

Post #5: Our first post from home...

...or maybe, more specifically, from house.

As of this post, the name of the blog changes. Is anyone keeping track? Maybe not, but I am... so I want to leave these words to remind me of this night.

It's 4:03 AM on my computer's clock. On the radio, a CD by Caetano Veloso plays. I got it almost 3 yrs. ago yet this is the first time I'm listening to it all the way through. That's become the norm rather than the exception: to buy a CD only to listen to it sparsely and sometimes, never all the way through. Like earlier today (yes, around 1 AM) Carlee and I watched a couple of videos from a Guatemalan singer (the ONLY reknown Guatemalan singer) from a CD/DVD I bought 10 months ago and had not yet seen even once. For those Spanish speakers who read, it was Arjona's Adentro Special Edition. We saw a couple of videos on the DVD: Pinguinos and then Mojado (yes, the Spanish word for "wetback") which had not only the video but also a behind-the scenes segment. Anyway, somehow, bc of the subject matter, the plight of unfortunate to-be-immigrants stuck at the border, Carlee really liked the video and the documentary. I however, was more interested in showing her some of Latin America's best artists... part of the culture-sharing process that our lives are. Starting with 45 minutes of Ricky Martin videos, and ending with a song by this Guatemalan singer:

"Once every month you become an artist
Leaving an impressionist painting
Underneath the sheets

Once every month with your watercolors
You paint shreds of plums
That go right to the mattress

Once every month a laundry soap
Steals the fleeting art
Of your belly and its creation
And its natural when you´re a lady
That you paint roses on the bed
Once every month…

Chorus:
Once every month
The stork kills itself
And there you are, so depressed
Trying to find an explanation"
Anyway, the whole lyric in Spanish and its translation can be found on this other blog if anyone cares to read it.

But let's pretend for a moment that you do... you do try to read those lyrics, you try to understand the song.... still, do you get the same idea, feeling, images, or emotions that a native Spanish speaker gets? Probably not. Probably, reading the song would feel awkward and listening to it, intriguing at most, boring at worst. Simply because so much gets lost in translation.

And that's just what's happening in my world now. A world where another human shares the minutes, the seconds, the heartbeats. Yet still, we are simply getting to know each other with every passing day... and that is a beautiful thing.

****


Right before we watched Ricky Martin videos and listened to Ricardo Arjona's music, we spent a good half hour watching Garth Brooks's concert clips and videos. Interestingly enough, one of his videos, The Change, features the terrorist bombing in Oklahoma; another, Standing Outside The Fire, features a teen with Down Syndrome trying to race at a school competition. We both had seen those clips years ago, before we had ever met and while we said little when watching them, it was obvious to me we were touched deeper by a different video, as nothing can relate as close to me as a child with special needs considering I've been brother to one for more than a quarter of a century; yet for Carlee, the pain and suffering of other humans moves her to tears, whether her fellow citizens losing their lives in their homeland, or latin immigrants south of the border dying to come here. We both shed tears on both videos, yet the motives not alike as our perspectives differ.

We've disagreed so many times on issues like these: life, loss, politics, health, nationality, immigration and even the visual content on what's on our TV (read post #6). And that is part of our daily life: disagreement, as we agree to share a vision, and follow the same road. We are two people, in love with each other, living on love, living to know each other deeper, giving our best to connect each other's culture and opening our arms to embrace each other's heartaches. And to think we've only met seven months ago.

That's why we started this blog. To have a record of our journey, to share with those who read... known or unknown, to reflect on the road we are traveling, and to understand through misunderstandings.

We share them every day, like me misunderstanding that "us" starting a blog meant something more like "me" writing about us, rather than both of us writing. Or when she misunderstood me when I said I'd rather not have any internet at home because I'm addicted to all sorts of information and someday she'd find me up late in the computer after 300 hundred click-throughs learning about how museums incorrectly display dinosaurs or discovering Voyager's Golden Record. Now, if I could only find the reason why even though I moved into our house almost 4 months ago, and we've both lived here for three weeks now, the internet got connected only yesterday, and like I said, it's well past 4 AM, and here I am... writing toward the big void of cyberspace, trying to describe our joyful and complex new life, that came out of a blue clear sky.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 at 3:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get to be the first to comment since you are writing in the middle of the night! GO TO BED!!! I am so happy for you guys starting out on the journey of a life together. I hope you will always enjoy getting to know each other.

 
At November 12, 2007 at 3:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry I guess you wrote this yesterday in the middle of the night! Oh well, I was still first.

 
At November 12, 2007 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Carlee said...

Kirsty,

I love you a lot. It was such a joy to be around you when you were here.

 
At November 13, 2007 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Rocky said...

Wilmar,
Your heart is HUGE, I can feel it with every word. I'm really happy for you and my sissy (honey). I wish I did know your language because then maybe I could feel the songs effect through that language. (I get effect and affect mixed up so if it's wrong, sorry) I'm glad you played it for me the other night. I'm jealous of the happiness that you and Carlee share. Not jealous in an angry sense but envious because my pains are too deep to let the kind of freedom that you and she share into my own heart.
I love getting to know you Wilmar.
I love you Carlee.

The color of your blog is great! It matches those cool new curtains in your new house.

 
At November 13, 2007 at 2:33 PM , Blogger @driPod said...

Hola Wil & Carlee

no me cansare de decirles que ahora que tienen conexión en internet en la casita podrian por favor enviarme algo? ya saben de que les hablo jejejeje

un abrazo

 
At November 13, 2007 at 2:44 PM , Blogger @driPod said...

WIL & Carlee, espero poder visitarlos pronto.. no tengo claro que día podre ir por eso aun no he buscado los tiketes desde NY , ayudenme con sus oraciones. quiero conocerlos!!!
Un abrazo

 
At November 15, 2007 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, if you both agreed on everything, one of you would be unnessecary ;) Thanks for posting Soy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home